Thursday, January 28, 2010

Materials I Use

I wanted to share some of the materials I use for wet felting.  I've been doing it for awhile now (like one year) and have finally settled on the tools I most enjoy using.

Here are the old favorites for wet felting:

bubble wrap
bamboo mat
tule
Palmolive liquid detergent
towels
rolling pin

and
wallpaper roller (very small)
crumpled up plastic grocery bags
crab mallet (huh?)  a mallet to smash crabs.

I find the wallpaper roller takes the place of the rolling pin when I'm doing something small - more force in a concentrated area.  I can also control it easier.  When I'm making one of the small vases below, it help to get the edges felted.  I just go around the edge (usually I have my hand inside for support).

I just discovered the crab mallet last night.  We never have crabs (well, we must have one time).  When I have stuffed the bowl with little wads of crumpled plastic bags, I go around the bowl and tap, tap, tap.  This gets the fibers to lay down and behave...it also adds to the fulling process.

So, there you have it - some of my favorite utensils.

I did three little vessels today.  Two are very small and one the size of the guys below.

Here's a few more pix, too:♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails